Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sloppy Joes

I got this recipe from my neighbor, who apparently can't seem to cook for just one person.

15 lbs ground beef
6 medium onions, chopped
1 gallon ketchup
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
96 hamburger buns, split

Over medium heat, cook and stir beef and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain.

Stir in remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  

Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.  

Spoon 1/3 cup onto each bun.  

Yield:  96 servings.

Notes:  If you make a human-sized sandwiches, this certainly doesn't make 96 sandwiches.  It makes a lot, but the recipe can easily be halved.

Also, since I usually don't keep a gallon of ketchup on hand, sometimes I mix in BBQ sauce.  I just put in enough to make the hamburger wet, but not soupy.

This recipe freezes really well, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment